BS OHSAS 18001 & ISO 45001, for Risk reduction through occupational safety and health management:
(1) Regulatory evolution (if not in at times construed as "revolution"), (2) discontinuance in technology, and (3) market perception/trend (...brand name and image) are issues that
organizations must face an maintain in "check" within their aims to anticipate adverse business impact. These issues contain significant risks within any organization's business aspects.
In the arena of
occupational safety and health forcing actions may not be the answer. A recommended path is to establish and maintain a management scheme that can through self assessment provides the basis for reduction of risk /
hazards... improve "image" whilst evaluating new technology. Welcome to OSHMS, ILO-OSH and BS OHSAS 18001 which can provide the objective evidence that an organization has addressed best practices for managing health
and safety aspects.
Helpful Note: Regulatory enforcement is at times a challenge by itself and BS OHSAS | ISO 45001, OSHMS and ILO-OSH can shed light assisting in effectively manage these; case in point OSHA, OROSHA and Cal/OSHA
requirements in the USA, Ley 100 in Colombia, and in Italy Dlgs. 626/94.
Further, OH&S MS, OSHMS, ILO-OSH, and BS OHSAS 18001 can propitiate the guidelines to integrate a management system with ISO 9001 / ISO 14001 - for OSHAS 18001 guidance refer to OHSAS 18002. It is important to
indicate that the certification / registration scheme for ILO-OSH, OHSAS 18001 and OSHMS does not follow the same centralized accreditation protocols of ISO 9001 or ISO 14001 as these are voluntarily and self
declaration is an option. Registrars have taken the initiative to provide Registration to OHSAS 18001 or OSHMS, or even possibly ILO-OSH. [Notes, case in point: (1) IRCA has provided a certification scheme for OHSAS
third party auditors and assessors, and (2) ILO-OSH is not intended for certification- registration, but does not inhibit or impedes certification / registration activities, others are RABQSA]
ILO-OSH and OSHMS propitiate the fundamentals to establish and maintain a Safety and Health Management Scheme that, minimum:
- Assist in correcting potential (latent) incidents or emergency situations (prevention focus)
- Prevent unsafe health and safety working conditions
- Assist in reducing operating and legal cost
- Improve the corporate image through applying reduction of risk...
- Objective demonstration relevant to ethical and social values